Sunday, October 17, 2010

I cannot be governed by what others seek. . .


Robert Owen was a welsh Industrialist who was obsessed with making the world a better place and developing a Utopian like community. . .This is a story from his multi-faceted life.

Robert began his professional life as a manufacturer of textile machinery. But in an effort to move up professionally he applied for a job as the factory manager for a large spinning establishment owned by a Mr. Drinkwater. With no experience with spinning mills, and at only 20 years old he decided to apply for the job and the following is the outcome.

"I put on my hat," wrote Owen "and proceeded straight to Mr. Drinkwater's counting house. 'How old are you?' 'twenty this may', was my reply. 'How often do you get drunk in the week?'. . .'I was never,' I said, 'drunk in my life,' blushing scarlet at this unexpected question. 'What salary to you ask?' 'Three hundred a year,' was my reply. 'What?' Mr. Drinkwater said, with some surprise, repeating the words, 'three hundred a year! I had this morning I know not how many seeking the situation and I do not think all their asking together would amount to what you require.' 'I cannot be governed by what others seek,' said I, ' and I cannot take less." He got the Job and within six months was offered a quarter interest in the business.

  "I cannot be governed by what others seek". . .what a powerful phrase. It shows confidence and comfort with one's self that brought him success, self-respect and the respect of others.  He wasn't a man that was governed by the world around him. Because of that he ultimately created a community called New Lanark that was world famous. In fact over 20,000 visitors came to see this little Scottish town in less than 10 years.
Why was it such a remarkable place? The city was organized, every worker had his own house, Children were in school not factories and finally the door of the factory was open to anyone for objections or suggestions. It became a model for other cities in many nations, and still is. All because one man was not governed by what other's seek.

What conclusions could I draw?

I'm more concerned about the conclusions that you draw.

Story and Quotes taken from the Book "The Worldy Philosphers," By Robert L. Heilbroner, 1999, , Simon and Schuster

1 comments:

cowbell kelly said...

I'm not sure what conclusions to draw. Was he unafraid? Is he a man who "knows himself"? Was he a humble man or was he just confident he could get what he wanted? I would like to think that he wasn't afraid of not getting the job and that who knew what he was worth and was humble about it. But what really surprises me is that he was so sure of himself at such a young age. I hadn't seen much or done much by the time I was 20.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

blogger templates | Make Money Online