Monday, September 20, 2010

A life of Gratitude

Since I was young everyone has told be to say "thank-you". Now as a parent I have taken over that role in the life of my young children. Halloween is one of my favorite times for it as it seems I must remind them at every door not to forget to say thank-you. With all the reminding and prodding to be grateful it seems it should be easier as an adult. It is easy enough when things are going well in life. But what about when difficult times come. I remember sitting, well actually laying, in the emergency room with an apple size swelling in my throat. The room was full of curtain dividers from which was emanating discussion, moans and even a few screams. Not an enjoyable place. After the nurse stuck a needle in my throat again to try and remove fluid for a test I simple said, "thank-you for trying to help". She stopped and said that of all the time she has worked here, no one had ever told her thank-you. That amazed me. I got to thinking why that is. I am surely not good at it. Perhaps that was just one shining moment in my non-illustrious expressions of gratitude. Perhaps, no, surely that needs to change.



In a  talk by Elder David A. Bednar, an Apostle of the church of Jesus Christ of latter-day saints, he recalls an experience he had while serving as the president of BYU Idaho. Recently following the death of a dear Friend he was visited by a leader of the LDS church. In the evening family prayer, which was offered by David A. Bednar's wife,  the visitor suggested that she only offer gratitude for the blessings received and ask for nothing. He goes on to share what a difference that prayer made in the feeling the family had that night. They were much more grateful and solutions to other problems came because of that prayer and attitude.



What a different world it would be if we were more inclined to thank than ask in our lives and our prayers. Mutual respect and appreciation would increase greatly. We would be more aware of others and therefore more apt to reach out when they are in need. Our problems would be diminished as we focused on what we have not what we don't have or think we should have. Most importantly happiness and love would increase in a world that is in dire need.



We can make a difference. I can make a difference. Perhaps small at first, but every building begins one brick at a time.

0 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails

blogger templates | Make Money Online